Monday, 26 December 2016

Possible identification of Schmalhauseneii


Click over to enlarge
taken from my diary of 18th July 2013 - please ignore were the red cross covers

I guess for ages I used the above notes to help with identification of Schmalhauseneii which has been OK, and I still use it today with the exception of the measurements of the epichile widths and depths and the boss measurements and marked here with the red cross. Some of the red crossed area was originally taken from the BSBI crib photos and details in relation to Schmalhauseneii which as far as I am concerned have proved to be of NO USE whatsoever, in fact they have wasted some precious time in my earlier days of research, so I don't use this information at all, because the truth is with the hybrid the measurements are more in the way of double of that recorded in that crib measurements!! But the other stuff is credible but only when used in conjunction with many other identifiers as well.

Another great supportive aid for identification can be by using leaf edge "denticulation"...........

I have been very fortunate over the years to have had the privilige of a further aide to help me with supportive evidence in identification and that's been from previous work already carried out by both Sean Cole and also by Mike Wilcox in their own individual studies. 

The first photo I show will be the regular "Atrorubens" which here you can see in colour, 


40x Denticulation photo of "atrorubens" used as a supportive aid to identification (photo: Sean Cole)

With atrorubens you can see the teeth pattern are pretty regular and not only that they do bear a double layer of teeth if you look very close. It is also clear that you can see a line of "purple" colour showing to the bottom of the teeth (this of course is the "Red" trade mark which you should note is not seen on the following helleborine photo.  

So this next photo is the Epipactis Helleborine denticulation photo:


A x40 denticulation photo of E. Helleborine kindly shared by Sean Cole

With E. Helleborine which you can see in the above photo the teeth pattern is much more uneven with odd individual teeth or even small cluster rows appearing amidst a more regular section etc.  Also you do not usually see the line of "purple" which is associated more with the atrorubens. You tend to associate the denticulation with straight transparent!

And finally I want to show a photo of what maybe a Schmalhauseneii hybrid and again a photo to help me in a supportive roll of trying to obtain identification.


x40 denticulation of  possible E. Schmallhausenii.  Photo kindly shared by Sean Cole

And finally from the photo above you will see that it represents a more or less "in between of the previous two photos.  The teeth are irregular but will get more regular rows in between the protruding teeth like we had with the atrorubens.  Also if you do look very close again you should see a double row of teeth.  Also sometimes but very rarely on the hybrid you can see a trace of purple colour at the bottom of the teeth (in 90% of cases they will be transparent like you get in E. Helleborine).

I am also very fortunate to have the following photos from Mike Wilcox which also show "denticulation (teeth patterns on leaf edges)" features:





This is yet another examble of "denticulation" of the E. Helleborine (Photo: Mike Wilcox)


**************************************************************************


This is a helliborine with large leaves - I have put it here to show the spiralling sequence
you can get with the leaves going up the stem.  (Photo: Bryan Yorke)




Basal leaf structure in E. Schmalhauseneii showing the red/purple staining.
also see another example below, but this time on green (helleborine) influenced stem.
from my diaries 21st July 2014
(please click over the photo to enlarge)


This is a photo of a "green stemmed" = Helleborine parent influence, with
the obvious signs of atrorubens creeping in with the red/purple sheath to stem,
purple vertical lines, together with purple base and again the trailing
 edge to basal.
from my diaries 21st July 2014
(please click over photo to enlarge)